Management of the historical and archaeological heritage
Service aimed at advising and managing the historical and archaeological wealth of the territory
The protection, conservation and preservation of the historical and archaeological heritage is a basic premise for the new generations to have a knowledge of history and generate a cultural value, but also social and economic.
At the University there is a research group that offer advice on the management of heritage resources in the territory, in order to preserve and transmit them to society.
Its main lines of intervention are:
- Advice on management and tourist development of cultural heritage
- Development of cultural heritage catalogues related to PGOU approvals and other territorial and urban planning tools
- Advice on the implementation and management of archaeological projects
- Advice on public archaeology projects and dissemination of archaeological heritage
- Carrying out analysis and studies
- Studies and analysis in paleobotanic (pollen analysis and anthracological analysis)
- Archeometric and ceramic technology analysis (modelling studies and archeometry)
- landscape archaeology analysis with development of GIS projects.
This service is aimed at municipalities, companies, entities or technology parks interested in valuing archaeological sites and protecting them.
The City Council of Calvià and the University of the Balearic Islands, within the framework of the collaboration agreement between both entities, create the Puig de Sa Morisca Archaeological Park. A project whose purpose is:
- Protect, manage and disseminate the archaeological heritage of Calvià
- Incorporate a new tourist and cultural offer
- Offer educational and didactic proposals
- Create a quality infrastructure
For this reason, different activities have been designed, such as the creation of a museum, archaeology workshops and the "Walk for Prehistory" project.
Likewise, the University, in collaboration with other institutions, has developed numerous projects, we can emphasize: the creation of the interpretation center of the site of s'Illot with the City Council of Sant Llorenç des Cardassar; the management of the Public Estate of Son Real together with the Ministry of the Environment; the Closos project with the City Council of Felanitx or development of cultural tourism with the Balearic Tourism Agency.